Working with Your Space

/
0 Comments


I'm a space designer and I unfortunately have less time to fix my own home because I particularly prioritize my work and clients. The downfalls of a loaded job but I love my work and our plan is to really invest into our home interiors when we get to move into somewhere we can call our own. :)

Let's admit that city dwellers like us (normally in the middle working class or small to medium sized business owners) always see value and affordability as one of the most important decision making points when it comes to investing pieces for our home or offices.

For home and office interiors in particular, we always tend to think how much of a budget we'll need to put out in order to at least make our space presentable enough.

Like most of you, I'm also currently on a rental and so the most you can do in a space like this is to prioritize the following (well, based on my book at least):

Primary: Highly Traffic Spaces - your kitchen, living area, dining area 

1. Functional Must-haves - your main furniture (e.g. Dining Set, Couch, TV Console Table or Unit)

2. Priority Storage - your cupboards (if there are no built-ins), china cabinets for the dining or kitchen area, working tables or table tops for cooking, appliance mounts and other daily-used items

Secondary: Private Spaces - Bedrooms and Bathrooms

1. Functional Must-haves - Bed (I placed this secondary as some people start out using futons and there's no shame in that, at some point, the key to your bedroom is a clean and quiet place you can rest and relax)

2. Priority Storage - your wardrobe or clothes cabinet, at least one functional mirror in your room or bathroom, A small shelf for books or other (must-be-easy-to-reach) personal items

Tertiary: Decorative Elements - Various areas

1. Wall and Window Elements - Clocks, Curtains, Photos or Paintings

2. Floor Elements - Area or small floor rug

3. Other Accents - Extra Plug-in lighting (e.g lamps, etc.)

Sometimes, I get asked the following questions and although my personal space still needs tons of improvement, Its never about my personal view but what the client really needs and can afford:

Do you really need expensive furniture pieces to make a space presentable?
Do you have to buy everything all in one go?
How do you manage your space?
How can I make sure that when I move out, we can re-use pieces I have invested in?

All the answers to these questions boil down to the personality and patience of the person asking it.

In my next entries, I'll be discussing projects I'm personally doing for both my clients and my home.

I hope that these things help because I know that most of us want to really have homes we can feel happy and proud of.

*Photo from Ikea

Cheers!





You may also like

No comments: