Parenting: Cup Feeding and Breastfeeding Aids

/
0 Comments


I'm preparing to learn about breastfeeding before the baby comes. I want to be fully prepared this time, with the right mindset and the right attitude to really make it to at least 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding and up to 12-18 months of breastfeeding (with solids).

I'm attending the Mom 101 and Breastfeeding 101 on May 9 at the St. Luke's Medical Center in BGC where I already registered and I'm quite excited to learn new ways and more tips.

I learned from the Breastfeeding Pinays group in Facebook that in order to be successful at EBF (Exclusive Breastfeeding), you shouldn't use a bottle to feed your LO (little one) in the absence of the mother's breast.

I researched further and found out good pointers from the Australian Breastfeeding Association's Site

Here are the key points from their site:

Reasons to cup-feed

For premature babies, it:
  • helps to avoid ‘nipple confusion’ (where the baby needs to use different mouth actions to feed from the breast than he does for the bottle).
  • encourages the baby to take an active role in feeding.
  • improves the baby’s digestion of the breastmilk by involving the baby's saliva. This is not possible when the breastmilk goes straight into the baby’s stomach via a nasogastric tube.
  • reduces the need for nasogastric tubes, which some babies find distressing.
  • provides extra breastmilk while a baby is learning to breastfeed well.
  • allows more eye contact and interaction during feeding.
For a full-term baby, cup-feeding can be used when:
  • the baby and mother are not together for some reason
  • a mother needs to rest painful nipples to give them time to heal
  • a baby is refusing to breastfeed 
  • a baby has a minor cleft of lip and/or palate.

How to cup-feed

If you are going to use a cup to feed your baby, it is a good idea for a medical adviser or lactation consultant to watch to make sure it is being done safely and effectively. The following points will help you to work out how to cup-feed safely. There is a video clip available here that shows cup-feeding. While cup-feeding may seem awkward to start with, it usually improves with practice. You may be surprised how quick and efficient it gets.
  • Make sure your baby is fully awake, calm and alert.
  • Hold him in an upright position with your hand supporting his shoulders and neck.
  • Gently wrap your baby around his middle to keep his hands down so that he cannot bump the cup. A bib is handy to catch any dribbles of milk.
  • It is usually easier if you use a small soft cup or medicine glass.
  • With the cup about half-full, hold it so that it is just touching your baby's mouth. It should reach the corners of his mouth and rest lightly on his bottom lip.
  • Start by allowing him just a tiny sip to encourage him.
  • DO NOT pour the milk into his mouth; tip the cup just enough so that he can lap the milk himself, bringing his tongue forward to do it.
  • Keep the cup in this tilted position.
  • DO NOT take the cup away when the baby pauses, unless he pulls away.
  • Allow him to start again when he is ready.
  • Follow your baby's cues and let him set his own pace.
One family found it was easier to sit well supported in a chair next to a table. The baby sits on your lap supported in the crook of your arm. The table is useful as you place the rest of the milk there to top up the cup as the baby drinks it.
So I went ahead and looked for what kind of cups you can use to do so.
I expect that there are days when I need to leave the baby at home because I don't like exposing my LOs before they turn one outside, as much as possible.


Image from http://smallnotebook.org

1. Shot Glass - Yes, an ordinary shot glass will do per the expert moms in the forum

 
2. Brands like Medela and Avent are known to have disposable and re-usable cups. As I'm a green advocate, I'd rather use re-usable ones



3. For older babies who are starting solids, sippy cups will also do


I'm really going to try this as I am so determined to do so.
My husband is very supportive of this as well. He really believes that the "Breast is Best for Babies" and I love him even more for that as I found out that some husbands kind of get grossed out or freak out! LOL! Funny but not really if you think about it...

I've checked-out some online shops for various breastfeeding tools as well and I'm looking to try some of their products (I'll place a separate review on them after I purchase).

I've been eyeing BABYMAMA to get my Spectra M1 Breastpump from and some other things that will help me achieve my breastfeeding goal.

They have really good breastpumps, feeding cups, lactation aids and more
Axifeed Feeding Cup Php150


Ameda Baby Cup with Cap Php180

They also have milk bands and milk storage bags like Honeysuckle (which have good reviews online)
Milk Bands - Php235

Php399 for 25 pcs

More on this soon. I hope this entry helps other expectant mothers out there to make the decision to go on EBF. :)

Cheers!



*Image from the www.the-parenting-magazine.com
*Resource: Australian Breastfeeding Association's Site


You may also like

No comments: